I have to start off by saying that I am a recipe junky – I am finding more, and more, I cannot resist the urge from looking at a recipe that casually brushes my attention, whether from magazines like Bon Appetite … promotional ads from places like Williams Sonoma … or favorite chef’s cookbooks, like Ina Garten, Giada de Laurentiis, Christian Constant, and more the like. And, naturally, the more my eyes see ingredients and flavors found in a recipe that is appealing, I put it on my “Gotta Try” list.
This particular Spring Spaghetti, Shrimp, Basil, and Lemon recipe made the hit list, and let me tell you why. Well, for starters, it is flexible in keeping to the wholesome pasta noodle, or you can opt to switch it up with replacing the noodles with gluten-free pasta. I’m not necessarily gluten intolerant, but I try at every opportunity to choose gluten-free … so, kudos to this recipe for that! Another thing I love about this recipe is the incorporation of citrus and herb ingredients, which I suspect is why this dish leaves you feeling lighter than a traditional pasta dish. No heavy meatball or saturated marina that splatters on your shirt before you even take a bite. And, with the addition of shrimp to the dish, I feel I am walking away with a well-rounded course.
Spring Spaghetti, Shrimp, Basil, and Lemon Recipe
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 Package of whole wheat spaghetti pasta, or gluten-free spaghetti pasta
- 1 lb. of shrimp, peeled and deveined, and tails removed
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 8 tbs. of unsalted butter
- 3 Shallots
- 1/3 Cup of white wine
- Grated zest of a lemon
- 2 Lemons: (1) to prepare lemon juice, and (2) to be placed into the dish
- 1/2 tbs. of red pepper flakes
- Fresh basil leaves
- To marinate the shrimp, place your shrimp in a bowl and mix them with salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic, and olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it into the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- While the shrimp are marinating, take a pot and begin cooking your pasta based on the directions provided on the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, take a large pan over medium heat and melt 4 Tbs. of the unsalted butter. Saute your shallots.
- Take one of the lemons and cut it into thin slices; set aside.
- Take the other lemon and squeeze, collecting the lemon juice; set aside.
- Once the shallots are translucent, add the wine, lemon juice, and zest into the pan with the shallots. Add the remaining 4 tbs. of butter to the pan and sprinkle in your red pepper flakes and lemon slices.
- Bring the pan ingredients to a simmer, and cook on low until golden and fragrant (about 5 minutes!).
- Take your shrimp and either grill them, or you can saute them in a pan. Both methods would only require about 2 minutes, each side, of the shrimp to be cooked.
- Once the shrimp are cooked, mix your pasta, shrimp, and ingredients from the pan into a large bowl.
- Serve a healthy portion on each plate and garnish with basil leaves!
I really hope you enjoy this recipe – it not only has become a tasty favorite for my family and me, but the simplicity it has in preparation and cooking also makes it practical. In fact, I’ve made this dish so much now that I no longer even need to look at the recipe 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
It is pretty tasty, and surprisingly pretty easy to make. If you ever decide to try it, let me know how it goes for you:)
LikeLiked by 1 person