Chicken tenders have probably become one of the most infamous staples with families that have young kiddos thumping their feet within the house walls. I like to believe my house was … I am – is … no different! I like to believe Amelie and Max have an extended pallet for food … and maybe they actually do. But, I think I also let myself be convinced that at the point the double-digit age came around they’d grow out of the desire for chicken tenders. Is my moment where I admit my naivety? LOL!
Guillaume’s recent kick into the Paleo diet has me researching like no other on some of the best Paleo recipes out there, and I was stunned to find a chicken tender recipe that didn’t leave me feeling like I ate rubbery chicken from a fast-food joint. You know that fast-food chicken- the kind when the crust from the chicken sticks to the top of the gums … you feel bloated and heavy within the 5 minutes of ingesting the chicken … and sometimes the crunch on these things are so freakin’ hard that pieces are flying from all sides of the mouth.
This chicken tender recipe is packed with wholesome goodness – compliments the Paleo diet – is pretty darn simple to make – takes good – AND, makes enough for a family of four with just a little leftover for tomorrow’s lunch 🙂 (I love these kind of recipes!)
Chicken Tenders With Avocado-Cilantro Sauce Recipe
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Protein: 48 grams
Fat: 21 grams
Carbs: 23 grams
Ingredients for Chicken Tenders
- 2 lbs of chicken tenders
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1 cup of coconut flour
- 1 tbs of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- Sea salt for seasoning
- 3 tbsp of Sriracha sauce (optional)
Ingredients for Avocado-Cilantro Sauce
- 2 large avocados
- 1 cup of lime juice
- 1/2 cup of cilantro
- 1 green onion
- 1 garlic clove
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Grab the baking sheet that all pieces of chicken will have ample room to bake, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together your eggs in a small bowl. If you desire a spicy kick to your dish, stir your Sriracha sauce with your whisked eggs.
- Grab yourself a flat serving dish and mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. (This will be your outer crust on the chicken tenders!)
- Line up your (a) bowl with your whisked eggs, (b) serving dish with your flour and spice mixture, and (c) baking sheet with parchment paper. Take each chicken, one-by-one, and:
- Dip it first into the egg,
- Roll it around into the flour mixture – Shake off any excess flour from the chicken, and
- Lay it flat onto the baking sheet
- Repeat step 5 for all pieces of chicken
- Once all of your chicken tenders are crusted, place your baking sheet into the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes.
Now that your chicken is cooking, it’s time to make the avocado-cilantro sauce:
- Take your avocados and peel them, placing the avocado contents into a food processor.
- Add your lime juice, cilantro, and garlic also into the food processor.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy. (Tip: If you wish for a more creamy sauce, just keep adding lime juice until you find your sauce at your desired texture.)
Voila! You have amazing avocado-cilantro dip that not only compliments this dish, but also stays good stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and goes great on salad, with tomatoes … or as a sandwich spread!
This sounds delis! And, I love using coconut and almond flours. Great for us gluten sensitive people! Will try this soon!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks :). I’d love to hear how it goes for you, and whether the kids end up liking it, too!